We have bread! Real bread… bread we could make little sandwiches with: Sourdough goodness that has a golden and hard outside crust and a wonderful creamy center.
We couldn’t be happier!
We decided to never mind the quick recipes online. All web sites we found seem to be very much in a hurry to make bread : “Let rise for 1 hour”, “Let rise for 2 hours”, “Bake for 20 minutes”… It made no sense to us. Isn’t making bread an art form?
I remember my uncle Paul who used to make bread in his kitchen. For days, he had loaves of rising bread splayed about ever counter and fridge tops. It would be a week-end long endeavour and that is what we wanted; to have EARNED the bread.
So we decided to go with James recipe from the 100-mile book. We wanted to watch it come alive, wait for it and let it come to us. And we did.
His recipe is simple:
- ½ cup of starter
- 6 cups of flour
- 2 ½ cups of warm water
- (He writes salt, but we didn’t cheat!)
- Take the starter out of the fridge and let it cool at room temperature.
- Mix the starter, water, salt (if you use it) and 4 cups of flour and blend.
- Knead the dough, adding the remaining 2 cups of flour ½ a cup at a time. (We ended up adding almost a half a cup of flour just to be able to knead it. That thing was alive!)
- Oil a ceramic or glass bowl and put the kneaded dough in it. Let rise for 12 hours in a warm place. (We chose the top of the fridge.)
- Take out of the bowl and knead for 5 minutes (we kneaded for almost 10 minutes, adding another ¼ cup of flour to get it to un-stick from our fingers.)
- Lightly oil 2 bread tins and put half of the dough in each.
- Let rise for another 6 hours or until it doubles. (We ended up letting it rise for almost 9 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 425’F and bake for 115 minutes.
- Turn down the heat at 350’F and bake for another 45 minutes.
- To know if it’s done, stick a knife in the middle. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
VOILÀ! Patiently, awaited bread…
We are heading to my sister’s place this week-end. The car full of 100-mile staples and she is all about the adventure with us for a week-end. We will be hitting local markets and buying all kinds of goodies from her 100-miles. We love her for wanting to join in, she’s the best!
I’ll be back on Sunday night to tell you guys all about it!
Have a great week-end!